New Website for The Jesus Society

Although I will continue to post at this blog address, please visit my main site at www.thejesussociety.com

Saturday, April 9, 2011

Cigars and Jesus

When you think of Jesus, what kind of person do you envision? I grew up in conservative Christian churches, so whether He was carrying a lamb on His shoulders or knocking on somebody’s door in the wee hours of the morning, my Jesus always looked serene. He didn’t smile that often. If He loosened up enough to have a little fun, I believe He really would have been a great poker player, but that wasn’t likely. The perpetual glow on his face must have been from washing with holy water.

Quite frankly, when I was young I understood I needed Jesus in order to get my Heiny-Outta-Hell Card, but I never would’ve chosen to spend any time with him. We had nothing in common. Or so I thought.

Then someone told me something that started to change everything I ever thought I knew: Jesus wanted to be my friend!

Let's talk about friends for a moment. You know you have a genuine friend when he laughs at you, and you don’t mind. My friend Troy is like that. If you ever see me in Tim Horton’s wearing a green face, sipping on peppermint tea, and there’s a guy across the table from me who can’t stop laughing, that’ll be Troy. Let me tell you this little story.

It was a miserable, sleeting spring evening when it all went down. I don’t see Troy too often, so times when we get together we try to make into Macho Hallmark moments. This one happened to be just before my second daughter was born, so we went to The Smoke Shop to purchase a couple prenatal cigars. Now you have to understand- Troy makes everything he does into an art form. You look at him smoking a pipe or cigar, and wonder if the Mona Lisa wouldn’t look better taking a drag on a big Cuban. So I (being a naïve, conservative, Baptist deacon at the time) let him choose the stogies.

Twenty bucks a pop later we were puffing away on my back porch cowering against the house, trying to stay out of the wind and sleet, and generally feeling pretty good about life. The dizziness hit me when there was only about two inches left on my cigar, so I figured it would be no problem to finish the thing. (Note to potential smokers: the dizziness is not ‘the buzz’. The dizziness comes after the buzz, a few minutes before the nausea.)

From there I’m not sure of the timing of everything. I think I was sitting down to keep from falling over when Troy’s giggles started. By the time I had my head facing around the corner and over the railing of the house into the storm to get some fresh air, his belly must’ve been starting to ache from laughing!

I was done, but we weren’t. We still had to do our traditional Tim Horton’s coffee run. Troy was quite considerate and offered to drive. I mostly didn’t want to throw up in his car, so being a good friend I managed to hold it together until the parking lot. I’m glad it wasn’t crowded because it wasn’t too spectacular; just a big heave and a little dribble - pitifully ridiculous.

Ah, good times- sitting in Timmy’s, my pale green head down on the table with Troy talking about the kingdom of God. We’re so spiritual!

This little insight into my friendship with Troy has a point. What I haven’t told you about him is that he is a really busy guy. He has a great ministry with students in the city, and there’s always a fistful of people and events competing for his attention. Troy drove three hours that night to come visit me, because he knew I was at a low point emotionally and spiritually.

Jesus is like Troy. I didn’t need someone that night to tell me to get a grip. I didn’t need someone to tell me life could be worse, or even that it would get better. I needed someone who knew how easily I could make a fool out of myself and want to hang out with me on the back porch anyway. Maybe even someone who was secure enough in our friendship to laugh at me instead of simply tolerating me.

Jesus is like that. Jesus does not tolerate you. Jesus does not condemn you. “John 3:16, 17” I’m grateful that I can tell you that Jesus loves you, and not because He has to! He likes you.

9 comments:

  1. aka Grant

    Better be careful here Bill. This could develop into "the Shack, part 2. But Cuban Cigars. Not even American? Jesus + Cuban + Cigars ? (and oh yes, + sinners) Some pretty radical thoughts here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure Jesus wouldn't judge anyone, except for those right wing fundies!
    get a grip your provocative attitude is doing anything but building for unity in the church of God! as a servant of the Lord you ought to be ashamed!(MT.25) your view of Jesus is totally unbalanced try reading this: "And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him [was] called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.
    His eyes [were] as a flame of fire, and on his head [were] many crowns; and he had a name written, that no man knew, but he himself.
    And he [was] clothed with a vesture dipped in blood: and his name is called The Word of God.And the armies [which were] in heaven followed him upon white horses, clothed in fine linen, white and clean.And out of his mouth goeth a sharp sword, that with it he should smite the nations: and he shall rule them with a rod of iron: and he treadeth the winepress of the fierceness and wrath of Almighty God.And he hath on [his] vesture and on his thigh a name written, KING OF KINGS, AND LORD OF LORDS."
    I agree with you that Jesus is a loving person. I have experienced his Love and it has changed my life and given me a reason to live, but Jesus' love far surpasses the love of your friend Troy! it calls me to righteousness and give me the power to actually do good things. the Lord in His great love, as a member of his body, calls you also to a life of holiness. I hope you find the REAL Jesus... a good place to start looking is the Scriptures (the whole book not just the parts you like). Jesus is merciful to sinner but he hates sin!

    ReplyDelete
  3. First of all, I would agree that as Christians we ought to enjoy our lives and friendships with one another. Our redemption is reason enough for great rejoicing.

    There are some things though that need to be re-evaluated. First, do you think it wise to broadcast your story of smoking cigars with a buddy and making a fool out of yourself in the process on your blog? I can almost guarantee that at least some people in your church will take offense to you smoking a cigar (considering the day and age we live in). Not that your salvation is contingent on smoking, but the edification of Christ's body most likely is. Paul clearly states that although, "all things are lawful, not everything is profitable or edify." (1 Cor. 10:23) I can't judge you based on your conviction that smoking a cigar is ok, that is a personal choice, but based on the principles of Biblical wisdom, and guidelines for church leaders, it would seem that going out and doing such stuff is not wise, nor edifying to the Church. If it causes a brother to stumble, it might be time to rethink the actions.

    Secondly, is this an accurate representation of Jesus, and the way he relates to people. I agree that Jesus is loving, and that through Him there is "no condemnation," but it doesn't seem that in the Scriptures Jesus is to be viewed as someone who comes along side and laughs when you make a fool of yourself. I'm sure the Disciples and Jesus had many good times together, but counseling sessions from Jesus did not revolve around laughing at Peter make a fool out of himself when he denied Jesus, or when he was a little overly zealous about following Christ to the point of death. In fact, Jesus was sorrowed by these matters. Peter repented, for he knew what he had done. Jesus is more than a "homeboy" that tags along giving us a pat on the back when we look stupid; He is the Lord of the universe and as such deserves our utmost respect and devotion, rather than a careless attitude about our stupidity because we know that Christ accepts us not based on anything we do. He expects us to confront sin for what it is; this would be a wise principle to take to the table when dealing with people, seeing as we are all sinners. Maybe it is time for Christians to return to the Bible for an accurate definition of God and Christ, and then define true spirituality from there. This would not only be beneficial to us individuals, but to the Body of Christ as well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Grant:
    "The Shack Part 2"? That is by far the biggest compliment I've ever received for my writting. Thank you!

    Anonymous 10:18AM:
    I'm pretty sure I already know the "real Jesus". He talked to me this morning and told me He loves you. And sorry, but I am not ashamed. Jesus is provocative, smoking is stupid. I'm not here to promote smoking; I'm here to promote Jesus. I'm sorry if I wasn't clear on that point.

    Anonymous 11:38AM :
    You are right that the most accurate portrayal of Jesus is in the Bible. I will try to be as accurate as I can, but please keep in mind that each blog entry in no way is supposed to paint a complete picture.

    To all:
    If you saw Jesus at all in this post, I'd love to hear from you. If nobody saw Jesus, I'll try to represent him better in the future!
    Actually... I'll try to represent Him better anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Instead of quoting the Bible and trying to make everything righteous, I'll take the story at face value. Bottom line. We need Jesus. Everywhere, always, in all circumstances. Sometimes we need a friend, sometimes we need a judge, sometimes we need a brother, sometimes a dad. Jesus reached across heaven and hell for us and is continually in that gap for us. I have a friend like that too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bill: Wow, you honour me. I don't have your gift with words, but you do make me sound like the friend that I want to be. And the friend that you are to me. I love the idea of many more shared stories, laughter, and sharpening each other in the future. Thank you, my friend.

    Grant: Yes, Cuban indeed! If Jesus can redeem two guys like Bill and me, he can surely redeem a Cuban! Perhaps the real miracle is redeeming Tim Horton's brew!

    One thing is as true of reading this blog as it is of Scripture -- it is no good to have such a focus on a minute detail so as to miss the point.

    IMO, I see Jesus all over this blog posting. I see it in the celebration of our friendship, the imminent birth of your child, our laughter. What a shame to miss out on all of the good stuff that those cigars represented instead of being willing to enter into every aspect of human experience with the knowledge that Jesus will redeem us, wholly, completely, and eternally!

    ReplyDelete
  7. aka aarons-uncle
    A few additional observations.
    1. Per unity. We do not work at establishing unity. That comes the moment one brother is "in Christ" and they are united with all others who are "in Christ". We are only admonished to "maintain the unity" and that is done by agreeing to accept the brothers (and sister) as family, no matter how much I may differ with them. The same is true of my blood brother. I don't have to agree with any thing he does, but I am never NOT his brother and we have the familily "unity" no matter how vehemently he may wish to disown me.

    Secondly, NO one can say "you caused me to stumble because I am a weaker brother." If I recognize that I am a "weaker brother" then I am admitting that according to my conscience I am not free to do what the so called stronger brother is free to do. Therefore if I do it, it says I am without excuse because I have not acted in faith... or trust, and that which is not of faith IS SIN. But the sin is mine and I cannot blame the "stronger brother". The stronger brother would only make the "weaker" brother stumble if he followed blindly the "example" without knowing why he did or why he should not. And the implication in Romans 14 is that the weaker, by proper instruction should move on to the place of liberty where he could freely participate in eating meat offered to that which has no reality as a god. Right doctrine, ie understanding that the muscle mass is just as nutritious whether a pagen dedicated it to an idol as if it had been slaughtered by Jewish law. The meat is meat, and can do no harm. In the circles in which Bill and Troy were moving there is no one to "stumble" as to smoking a cigar or drinking wine. And as to this particular log, Anonymous suggests that he already has a conviction about smoking so there is no way he can be stumbled. So who does that leave to "stumble"?

    Finally, As to Jesus and Humour. The only reason we do not recognize the many instances of humour in the New Testament is because we are for the most part clueless about the Jewish sense of humour, and the idioms that are used. Jesus used hyperbole, contrast, and even "sarcasim" and his parables are rich in the surprise endings. All part of the humour that could be used very "seriously" when making a point.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I saw Him, Bill.

    Thank you for painting such a relatable, reliable image of how Christ would be.
    He would treat us like a brother would.

    I believe many people are wrapped so completely in their own conservatism they begin to avoid their brothers and sisters out in the fray of the real world.
    They have forgotten they were once those people. (Rom 3:23)
    Why not share the joy that we were once lost as they, but now are found?

    People with skeletons may avoid entering a church because of how they assume they will be perceived in the dogmatic eyes commonly present in conservative churches.

    Jesus hung out with prostitutes, swindlers, and many others, because He LOVED them.

    2000 years later, He still does.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aaron's Uncle: Very well put sir! I couldn't agree more, and I really appreciate the care with which you expand on Romans 14. I agree, though I have never heard it put so succinctly.

    And I love that you see the humour in scripture! All the way through, I see Jesus using irony, situational comedy, and yes, dare we say sarcasm? In every way, we can only reflect the God that we are created in the image of -- and one of the best joys in the Christian life is to reflect his joy in creation!

    I greatly appreciate your words. . .

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you think!